Tuesday 30 October 2007

View from my window


I moved in almost a month ago and promised some of you to show pictures from my window.
Here you are. I live on a fourth floor with no lift (elevator) in the old part of town. It's a duplex apartment with an inside staircase leading to my bedroom and a terrace on the fifth floor. This is the view you get from there: a scruffy mess of rooftops and chimneys, a hectic mix of old (churches and towers) and new (tv antennas and satellite dishes). Not that pretty, but quite fascinating...

J'ai emménagé il y a presque un mois et j'avais promis à certains d'entre vous de vous montrer la vue depuis mes mes fenêtres. Voilà ! Je vis au 4ème sans ascenseur dans la vieille ville. C'est un petit appartement en duplex avec un escalier intérieur conduisant à ma chambre et à la terrasse. Voilà la vue qu'on en a le matin (lumière d'orage) : un invraisemblable fouillis de toits et de cheminées, mélange cacophonique d'ancien (les multiples tours et clochers) et de récent (les paraboles et antennes télé). Pas vraiment joli, mais assez fascinant...

To the north, we look onto the plane trees of Pignotte square. The trees are huge and so close that when the cold mistral wind blows hard (like it does tonight) the branches clang and bang against the roof and gutter.
Côté nord, on a vue sur les platanes de la place Pignotte. Ils sont immenses et viennent si près que quand le mistral souffle fort (comme ce soir) les branches viennent cogner contre le toit et la gouttière.

Looking to the north-west, you get fantastic views over the Popes' Palace, here today late afternoon, when the setting sun hits the palace sideways. I would love to do a series of images taken at different times of day, just like Monet did with the façade of the cathedral of Chartres...

En regardant vers le nord-ouest on a une vue magnifique sur le Palais des Papes, ici photographié ce soir en fin de journée, les rayons du soleil éclairant la façade par le côté. La lumière change tout le temps. J'adorerais faire une série d'images à différentes heures de la journée, comme Monet avec ses cathédrales de Chartres.
Et quand vient le soir, les nuages roses éclairent la mer de toits.

And when the night sets in, pink clouds hang above the sea of roofs....

And because this post will be all about me (because I'm worth it????), I shall also respond to Sally of Sydney Daily Photo who tagged me (well, who was first to tag me, because others did it too afterwards). I'm supposed to tell eight random facts about myself, so here goes:
1. I once flew over Paris in an Army helicopter with the then French Defence Minister
2. I tend to do the fun and easy things first and keep the boring ones for last
3. I have twins (boy and girl)
4. I had my first white hair at the age of 23
5. I have never been drunk
6. I love the French goûter (afternoon snack) of chocolate and fresh baguette
7. I am very good at reading maps - I can even fold them back
8. I can assemble an Ikea piece of furniture on my own and am very good with a jig saw
And now I'm supposed to tag another eight fellow bloggers to tell us eight random facts about themselves. While I appreciate the fun aspect of the game I have already said before (in Sydney Daily Snap) how I loathe chain messages. Besides, because the tagging has already been quite extensive in our blogging community, I am afraid I'll never find eight fresh names. Therefore I shall not nominate anyone in particular but if you would like to take up the challengle of telling us eight random facts about yourself, by all means please mention it in the comments below and we'll be delighted to come and read you. Have a good week!

Et puisque ce post ne parle que de moi (parce que je le vaux bien ????), je continuerai en répondant à Sally de Sydney Daily Photo qui m'a taguée (la première, car d'autres l'ont fait depuis). Je dois citer huit faits me concernant, alors voilà :
1. Un jour j'ai survolé Paris et fait 250 kms dans un hélicoptère de l'Armée en compagnie du Ministre de la Défense de l'époque
2. J'ai tendance à faire les trucs faciles et amusants en premier et à garder le travail ennuyeux pour après
3. J'ai des jumeaux, garçon et fille
4. J'ai eu mon premier cheveux blanc à l'âge de 23 ans
5. Je n'ai jamais été saoûle
6. J'adore prendre du pain et du chocolat pour le goûter
7. Je sais lire les cartes routières - et je sais même les replier
8. Je sais monter toute seule un meuble Ikea et manie très bien la scie sauteuse


Et maintenant, je dois passer le flambeau à huit autres bloggeurs qui à leur tour doivent se raconter au public. J'ai déjà dit ici (non, dans Sydney Daily Snap) tout le mal que je pensais des chaînes quelles qu'elles soient, par principe. De plus, le concept ayant déja pas mal circulé dans notre communauté de bloggeurs j'ai peur de ne pasréussir à trouver huit noms. Je ne solliciterai donc personne en particulier mais j'encourage vivement les amateurs de strip-tease sage à reprendre le flambeau pour nous conter huit faits les concernant. Qu'ils se manifestent dans les commentaires ici, nous serons ravis d'aller les lire. Bonne semaine à tous.

33 comments:

DeepBlueSea said...

What views! And a rooftop terrace! Soooo beautiful...

It's a bit Amelie of the Midi, non?

Love your blog, greetings from Melbourne!

Olivier said...

tu as une superbe vue sur les toits d'Avignon, mais que c'est laid toutes ces paraboles, je comprends que beaucoup de Mairies les interdissent et passent aux câbles.

" Et quand vient le soir, les nuages roses éclairent la mer de toits." tout est dit et si poétiquement.
Sinon, bravo, je sais lire une carte routière, mais alors je suis incapable de la replier comme il faut ;o)

Anonymous said...

great pictures, great view..
reminds me of my trips to France..
enjoy your daily life, time passes to fast..
cheers from Toronto Canada
Happy Halloween

Anonymous said...

I wish we had terracotta roofs like that.

I adore plane trees, one of the things I most love about France.

The view in the late afternoon light is moving. And then the pink sunset.

I enjoyed reading about you in the tag. Pretty amazing about the chopper ride! I also agree with you about chain messages.

isa said...

So that's the real secret to "French women don't get fat" - fourth floor with no elevator ;-)

Love your old town location and the diverse views!

Interesting "facts", but I am fascinated by your goûter - pray tell, do you spread chocolate on a baguette, or dip a baguette in chocolate???

Peter said...

I don't know if you still miss Sydney - probably "yes", but to have the chance to have a duplex flat within the walls of Avignon must at least be a nice compensation! Thanks for showing - I was one of the "demanders"!
Thanks also for telling us something more about YOU! Maybe one day, you will give us some more details about some of your exiting experiences!

Anonymous said...

Isabella I must explain : the chocolate I am talking about is neither a spread or a drink, it's a bar of chocolate, the crunchy type.

I remember my Australian friends thinking of it as the most unlikely combination. But then I could say the same about the peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Anonymous said...

Deepbluesea yes, the rooftops of Montmartre would look very similar to the Avignon skyline.
Now I'm not sure my adventures would be as fascinating as Amelie's...

Yes Peter, living here is a huge compensation to having moved from Sydney but when random photos of Australia appear on my computer through the screensaver I still often long for the vast brown land.

Cergie said...

C'est merveilleux de pouvoir s'échapper vers les nuages tout en gardant contact avec la terre !

Tes 8 points me ressemblent beaucoup ! Avec des nuances, bien sûr. Seulement je n'ai pas de jumeaux. J'ai eu trois enfants si rapprochés qu'on pourrait dire des triplés.
Même l'avion de l'armée. J'ai volé ds un breguet deux ponts qui largue les parachutistes, assise sur des sangles. L'avion est pas isolé phonétiquement C'était pour encadrer une colo de l'armée !
Et un autre point et non des moindres: j'ai un fils actuellemnt en Australie pour un mois à l'aventure. Et mon deuxième s'envole bientôt pour trois mois là bas avec un visa travail.

Chuckeroon said...

....what is it about such roof top views? I would have chosen the same. Glad that you are now settled in.

Anonymous said...

J'aimerais bien habiter dans une vieille ville, quelle qu'elle soit. ça doit être fascinant de pouvoir mélanger l'ancien et le moderne. Vos photos sont toujours aussi magnifiques, surtout celle montrant le Palais des Papes dans la lumière du soir.
Et avoir des branches d'arbres qui tapent à ma fenêtre, c'est quand même quelque chose d'appréciable quand on habite en ville. Merci pour le partage. Bonne soirée!

Kim said...

Nathalie, So HERE you are! I've missed you during your move. Gerald had you on a list of newish blogs.
I love seeing the views from your window. Really fabulous photos. And I must compliment you on yesterday's brilliant shot. Did you wait for someone to come along or happen upon it and capture it. Either way, it's a brilliant shot. I always love your photos.
-Kim
Seattle Daily Photo

Anonymous said...

Bonjour,
Belle série..et appartement stratégiquement bien placé pour de nouvelles photos splendides..Bravo!

Gerald (SK14) said...

I must say I admire your ability to refold a map properly - truly an art in itself - but a taste for IKEA!!

Marie said...

Très jolie série de photos. Les toits d'Avignon (que j'aime beaucoup) ressemblent très fort aux toits de Montpellier : (http://montpellierdailyphoto.blogspot.com/2007/06/roofs.html)

Bonne fin de week-end !

Sally said...

Thanks for acccepting the tagging challenge.

I love the close up of the roof tiles - in Australia they're called "Marseilles tiles", for obvious reasons. And Sydney's roofs used to be almost exclusively red terracotta - not any more however. Visitors used to comment when they flew in, as late as the 1970s, on the preponderance of red terracotta.

My house has these tiles. They're hard to replace if your roof needs re-doing; even if you can get an approximate colour, terracotta is quite rarely used now.

Gorgeous pics as usual. I am glad you've found somewhere right in the cenre of the action. You haven't gone bonkers from the mistral yet?

Anonymous said...

Oh Sally if I'd gone bonkers from the mistral already I'd be ill-equipped to handle the winter to come. There will be more!

Anonymous said...

i really like the gentle way you have with words--they match the photos so well

Jules said...

Wonderful photos as always. I just love coming to this blog. I try and keep the jealousy feelings in control!!!!

I am so flattered by your comments on my Blue post - coming from you it is such a compliment as you are one of the best!!!

Daniel Chérouvrier said...

Quelle belle ville et quel regard porté sur elle !
Il me parait difficile de deviner quel (quelle) était le Minsitre de la Défense qui était avec vous dans l'hélicoptère. Dans tous les cas le survol a du être passionnant.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

These are such wonderful views i am so envious of you moving here! I hope you are happy with the new environment, who wouldn't be actually?

Annie said...

Hi Nathalie,

I see from your random facts that you are a fascinating and resourceful woman. And I can imagine standing by your side, looking out at the city's tiled rooftops - fascinating indeed.

Jilly said...

Fascinating, Nathalie. Probably the first thing I fell in love with in France were the roofscapes. Yours are just beautiful. And thanks too for the random facts, as interesting as I knew they would be!

Anonymous said...

Pour le tag moi c'est déjà fait sur la gentille demande de Maxime...donc on en parle plus ... POur ce qui est de la vue, c'est superbe, j'aime Avignon depuis peu, parce que les années de fac et de festival m'avait un peu lassée. Aujourd'hui en m'y baladant avec un oeil de photographe je trouve Avignon trés belle ... nous sommes donc voisines ;o)
Bonne journée
Adré

Anonymous said...

retour sur ton site- vue d ensemble et de cette serie- un faible pour les feuilles car tres bel effet d eclairage et de superposition-

K M F said...

cool shots

M. CHRISTOPHE said...

Cette vue me remets en mémoire le thème du 1er Juin...entre temps ton lieu de résidence à bien changé...cela n'a en rien altéré la qualité de tes images....et les yeux de notre famille s'en réjouissent....

Bon weekend

Famille CHRISTOPHE

PS si une visite sur Sablé se profile...faites le nous savoir.

Felicia said...

Neat to see your new view from home - it's quite different from your Sydney. My kids would think we had monsters outside the windows with that much clanging! I like your random facts - never been drunk?! You are a good girl!

Anonymous said...

Feels like a good spot you've found. I particularly like the skyline with the Pope's place. The light looks very nice at this time of year. Agree with you about the tagging, but thanks for the insight - I never remember being drunk either ;)

Mo said...

I love the rooftop shot.

Reflex said...

C'est super chouette Avignon, j'y suis passé cet été, il y a plein de choses à photographier, la lumière est belle, une très jolie ville. Félicitations pour les photos :)

J'aime particulièrement celle des toits :)

Ming the Merciless said...

The views from your window and terrace are gorgeous. I love them, especially the first photo of the orange roofs.

I'm reading "A Year in Provence" by Peter Mayle right now and am enjoying it. The author talked about the cold Mistral winds.

It's my dream to live a year in Provence too. One day, I will!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your window views Nathalie. I love the soft light and the long view to the cathedral. I'm intrigued by the first comment about the Army helicopter. I'm imagining all sorts of things ...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails